It was going to be a learning experiment on creating the lacy pod. I drew out the pod on the canvas, then I laid down some wax paper to glue the pieces to.
I learned a lot from this experiment. Next time, if I were to do something like this again, I would use bigger mosaic pieces. This would allow more of the painting to show through. I would also put more space in between the pieces. I think that will help with the ripping. It was a fun piece that took patience. Many times I wished for an assistant to either glue the pieces or at the very least remove them for me. I am super happy with the piece. I love the color scheme I went with. All the colors work so well together. I am also glad I put some gold over the lace to add just a little shimmer.
Here is the final piece:
Chinese Lantern, Acrylic Paint and Texture Medium on Canvas, !6" X 20", October 2014.